Universal Caller ID New Product Deployment
A major multiple service operator (MSO) sought to deploy a new feature, Universal Caller ID, to differentiate itself in an increasingly competitive marketplace. This feature, offered free to its high-value three-product customers, would display incoming call details on the telephone’s LCD screen while simultaneously transmitting the same information to the customer’s television and home computer screens.By providing these enhanced cross-product integration capabilities, the client wanted to achieve three primary goals:
- Retain existing high-value three-product customers
- Acquire new three-product customers and up-sell existing one- or two-product customers
- Offer exclusive value not available from the competition
Deployment of the MSO’s first cross-platform offering presented unique technical challenges spanning the client’s complex voice and video infrastructure. The MSO chose pureIntegration to help plan and lead the new feature launch because of its technical expertise in developing and supporting cross-platform systems, its industry expertise, and its proven success in deployment and integration services.
The pureIntegration team was embedded within the client’s business unit in the Voice Services Deployment and Integration group. In this role, the team was responsible for designing and implementing the product rollout methodology, and coordinating the rollout with all project stakeholders. The team worked cross-functionally with stakeholders from Video and Voice Engineering, Testing and Quality Assurance, Customer Care, Technical Operations, Operations Support, Marketing, and Training at the corporate, divisional, and local levels. The Universal Caller ID feature was deployed market-by-market using the following comprehensive and repeatable.
- Planning: Kick-off, market readiness assessment, and project planning
- Pre-Check: Unit-level validation of architectural infrastructure
- Tech Check: End-to-end testing and feature validation using production test accounts
- System Readiness Testing: Limited deployment to employees and “friendlies”
- Deployment and Early Term Support: Deployment to customers in several phases with integrated system monitoring, reporting, issue triage and resolution
The Business Benefits
Within one year of initial deployment, the Universal Caller ID feature was available nationwide to 37 million households within the MSO’s coverage area and had more than 3.1 million three-product customers actively using the feature. pureIntegration contributed to the successful feature launch, which experienced no customer service outages and less than one percent of customers reporting problems with the feature.